National Database & Registration Authority (NADRA) has launched a new Smart National Identity Card based on latest state of the art chip technology. The new card will provide information about the card holder. In comparison to old Computerized National Identity Card (CNIC) the new Smart National ID Card (SNIC) is more efficient, smarter and advance based on chip designed to store data which will directly be connected to NADRA’s central database service.
National Database & Registration Authority (NADRA) is Pakistan’s national database designing, and implementation entity. NADRA has successfully carried out a number of projects including National ID card & Multi-Biometric e-Passport solutions for Pakistan. Beside Pakistan it is one of the leading database solution provider and Passport Issuing System integrator in countries like for Bangladesh, Kenya and Sudan.
For user of SNIC there is free life insurance for two years. Other facilities for integration include motorway tolls e-tag, biometrics, driving license, weapon license, school card passport, health card and electronic voting. It will also aid financial transactions and there will be provision for storing data.
Chairman NADRA Mr. Tariq Malik in a statement said that the new SNIC is the most secured ID card in the world. It has multiple layers with each layer having unique security features.
President Asif Ali Zardai is the first Pakistani national issued with SNIC smart identity last month.
The Salient Features of SNIC are as follows
1. Chip based Smart Identity Card with 36 security features
2. Multi dimensional usage and services
3. Social and financial inclusion programs
4. State of the art encryption technology
5. Live identification of captured fingerprints
6. Easy pension disbursement
7. Accidental death insurance of Rs.100,000 for 2 years
8. Compliant with ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) Standards
9. Data written on card both in English and Urdu which will be very useful for overseas Pakistanis and people who used to travel abroad.
Currently NADRA is charging Normal fee of Rs.1500 per SNIC with validity period of 10 years.